> https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6757218,-117.3849352,3a,75y,70.4h,83.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqdzvokjXjkutvCYJLOWh_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e4
>
> That's a bicycle lane on the road, plus a distinct bicycle path running
> parallel to it.  It's mapped in OSM as a "cycleway=lane" on the road and a
> "highway=cycleway" running parallel to it.

Okay, I mean of course duplicate cycleways where the duplicate mapping
is an error. Correct usages like you present can be filtered out by
looking a the value of the cycleway tag: If there is a separate way and
the cycleway-tag on the road is a track, then it is probably an error.

> do you suppose this is an error?

I would say so, as long as there are not in reality two cycleways (see
above). Wouldn't you?