On 28/09/2017 09:28, Jo wrote:

All OSM objects with a name (in several languages) referring to a city.
More zoomed in:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/s20

... except that it isn't necessarily "all objects" - it's "a list of objects in OSM manually curated by you".  You're still going to have to monitor changes to those objects and look for new instances of "objects named after Leuven" in the real world and newly added to OSM.  You happen to be using a "name:etymology:wikidata" key in OSM to do this, but frankly you could keep that list anywhere - it doesn't depend on "etymology" wikidata tags in OSM.  Many mappers (especially those with a first language that doesn't use many Greek roots) will I suspect struggle with what "name:etymology:wikidata" actually means.

I'd have thought that this sort of "extra non-geographical information" was better held outside of OSM, and then link back into OSM via e.g. https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/wikidata=Q118958 or even https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/wikipedia=nl%3ALeuven .

I'm not saying that it isn't a great project - it's exactly the sort of thing that many OSMers do for many different sorts of data.  I'm just not convinced that it depends on the ability to create more and more unverifiable keys within OSM.

Best Regards,
Andy