On Monday 02 October 2017, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> I find this discussion and your proposal interesting to explore, at
> least as a hypothetical. Do we know 1) what the volume of bot edits
> is and how it has grown

No, but i thought as well this would be an interesting thing to study.
Of course you would need to make some definition of what a bot edit is
that can be automatically analyzed - which is difficult.  But even a
hairy definition might allow to identify rough trends.

There is little doubt that the volume of bot edits has grown recently
but if it has actually grown much faster than the manual editing volume
overall is not easy to determine.  I mostly look at remote areas and
there the raise in dominance of automated editing activities is massive
but the manual editing activity in these areas has always been small
and sporadic so this is certainly not an observation you can
extrapolate to the whole.

> 2) how many mappers have actually given up
> based upon this?

Again i can only answer this based on my own experience and

a) I am unmotivated to map in areas where imports are in progress or
regularly taking place (yes, i am talking about Canada).
b) My primary motivation for mapping in OSM is that what i map gets
improved by other craft mappers so what we produce together is better
than what each of us can produce on our own.  If the only changes that
are going to be made to my mapping work after i upload it to OSM are
made by bots there would be no results from that that would be any
better than what i could produce on my own because i could simply run
the bots on my own privately mapped data.

Of course i am certainly not representative for the typical mappers.  I
would suspect there are probably mappers that would be attracted and
motivated by an OSM project where bots routinely 'fix' data
inconsistencies like typos in tags, different spellings of common names
or automatically orthogonalize building geometries.  But there are
others who don't like this.  One motivation behind my suggestion was
that this would allow mappers to embrace bot edits but also allows them
to reject this and decide they only want to interact with other craft
mappers and not with bots.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/