Or a bot=https://fancyurl.iou/lawyeredcontract.json

to clearly define what the bot can and cannot do?

Personally I think we need all the help we can get from automation, but it
needs to remain 'overseen' by an actual mapper.

That's why I like the todo list plugin in JOSM a lot. And why I try to help
with developing tools to find errors and do trivial fixes. Especially
relations are relatively brittle in the OSM world.

So I understand the resistance against Yuri's automated handling of
wikidata tags. What he should do, is make his suggestions for improvement
available through our validation tools and then have mappers process them.

What I don't understand is the problems people seem to have with wikidata.
If an existing wikidata entry doesn't align with what we mapped, then
create a new wikidata entry that does and link it to the existing entries.

You could argue that's not strictly mapping anymore, but it does enhance
open data as a whole. So I think it is worthwhile to do it.

If it were possible to link from Wikidata to OSM, I'm sure it would be done
that way, but since there are no stable ids on our side, tags are the only
way to do it.

In JOSM it's possible to see which labels are behind the numbers. It should
be trivial to do so in Id as well. And why not on the standard rendering
too?

Polyglot