Hello

  For a long time I wanted to hear opinion on the topic of topology rules.

  By "topology rules" here I mean just simple rules such as:
  * polygon X should not overlap polygon Y
  * polygon X should always be above polygon Y
  * point X should be not further from line Y than D
  etc.

  There are no such rules in OSM (or I have not found them). I do not
see them being mandatory in the nearest future for various reasons.
But having them described somewhere would add some benefits (or so I
think). For example:

  * it would introduce general agreement which in theory should make
it easier for people to understand how polygons should be mapped. Do
we use type X or type Y - depending on what is or isn't below/above.

  * some errors could be found (say addr:street should be not further
than 5km from a way with the name tag having exactly the same name).

  * it would be easier for cartographers or the like. They would not
have to guess which polygons should be above which ones in drawing
order, for example when creating garmin maps it is not always possible
to control the order of layers, so we have a question which goes
first: forest or water? People often report problems that water or
island is not visible and the problem is usually because of incorrect
objects in OSM: multipolygon not created so the same area is actually
covered by both water and landuse polygons. (Garmin maps is not the
only area with such a problem, this is just an example)

  * general resulting/exported "GIS" datasets (shapes, geodatabases
etc.) would be more "correct" in GIS sense.

  * different "area calculations" would be more correct. Say we want
to calculate area in a region covered by land, water, farmland etc. As
it stands now we could get a total area larger than area of a region
in question.

  This has been tested in Lithuania for years now and looks fine. We
do not introduce questionable rules, just obvious ones: no overlap
between forest, water, wetland, meadow, residential, industrial,
commercial etc. wood only above residential/commercial/industrial. The
last one gives advantage that for large scales we can ignore wood
objects as they represent detail as compared to forests which
represent large scale stuff. Note this is just an example, I'm not
saying this must be the global standard.

  The process could be:
  1. We introduce VERY simple rules which are mostly a de facto
standard anyway: no overlap between forest and water, addr:street is
"near" the street, building must not overlap other building.
  2. Check, fix, look for objections/problems.
  3. Fix/adjust existing rules.
  4. Go to step 1.

  What do you think in general?

P.S. Some of these rules are already implemented as QA rules in say
osmose, just not described as "topology rules".

--
Tomas