"2. Buildings.
If 2 buildings share a wall or are constructed one aside the other (double
wall), you should have them connected in OSM as well."

In Nepal we have been trying to make sure that each constructed building
has its own footprint and is not connected to a neighbouring structure via
a shared wall. We do this as in reality this is the case as each building
structure though built next to each other has its own footprint
(independent foundation). We have changed many buildings that have been
drawn as suggested by you Martin (previously traced by remote mappers
especially in highway towns of Nepal).

So, there if there is a set of rules it would help us as well.

Regards

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com
> wrote:

>> Hello
>>
>>   For a long time I wanted to hear opinion on the topic of topology rules.
>>
>>   By "topology rules" here I mean just simple rules such as:
>>   * polygon X should not overlap polygon Y
>>   * polygon X should always be above polygon Y
>>   * point X should be not further from line Y than D
>>   etc.
>>

> most important is IMHO: when do you share nodes, and when not.
>

> 1. E.g. political boundaries usually should reuse the same border ways
> (=no gap between entities).
>
> Other examples:
>
> 2. Buildings.
> If 2 buildings share a wall or are constructed one aside the other (double
> wall), you should have them connected in OSM as well.
>
> If a square is delimited by buildings, the place=square object should
> share ways with the buildings.
> etc.
>
> Some mappers tend to map these things very close but distinct, which IMHO
> is a topology error.
> The rule I want to see: map in a way that it represents reality nicely.
>
> 3. Roads and areas:
> Some mappers connect "incompatible" object types (centre lines of roads
> and areas). The areas should end at their border and not be extended.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Gaurav Thapa
Project Manager