sent from a phone

> On 25. Oct 2017, at 17:36, Gaurav Thapa <gthapa.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In Nepal we have been trying to make sure that each constructed building has
> its own footprint and is not connected to a neighbouring structure via a
> shared wall. We do this as in reality this is the case as each building
> structure though built next to each other has its own footprint (independent
> foundation).

yes, you can find both situations: a single dividing wall used by both
neighboring buildings (in Europe this occurs mostly with medieval buildings),
or each building has its own walls (and foundations), but without a significant
space between them (e.g. 2 cm of insulating material).

I would treat both situations the same and use shared nodes, but maybe wouldn’t
object if someone purposefully mapped the latter as 2 almost-touching
buildings, although the osm building ways usually describe the footprint of the
completed building (i.e. with facades, cladding etc.) and not the raw load
bearing structure.

cheers,
Martin