Daniel Koć <dan...@xn--ko-wla.pl> writes:

> W dniu 07.12.2017 o 17:04, Greg Troxel pisze:
>> I also object to deprecating leisure=nature_reserve.  The protected_area
>> scheme is too complicated for most people to deal with fully and
>> leisure=nature_reserve has proved itself to be useful.
>
> This way or another it seems to me that leisure= key is wrong and
> using boundary=protected_area (or even just boundary=) is proper.

The property that is denoted by leisure=nature_reserve is mostly
separate from the protected area information.  It means that humans are
able to hike in a land wich is in a natural state.

> Leisure is just a common, but not the inherent property of nature
> reserve - the protection is:

You're basically saying "I care about X, and you care about Y, and my
caring about X is more important, so you are wrong."

I'm not arguing that boundary=protected_area be deprecated or removed.
Just that the existtence of boundary=protected_area does not make
leisure=nature_reserve pointless.

> "Usage of a leisure key, actually, might contradict a protection
> status in a lot of cases, where nature reserve doesn't allow any
> leisure activities. Ownership and enforcement are totally different
> things from protection level. For example, in Russian Federation,
> there are huge state-owned protected areas with limited access
> intended for hunting. They have strict protection enforcement and they
> usually are equal to class 4 or 6. Private hunting lands with similar
> access restriction, management level, and enforcement exist in other
> countries. Someone might argue that if hunting is allowed, it is not a
> protection, but that's just a personal idea of protection."

That's one person's opinion about some things.  The real world is
complicated and "protected" is very complicated.    Certainly around me
there are "wildlife refuges" that allow deer hunting (to protect plants
and toher animals from deer!).

What I don't understand is why you dislike leisure=nature_reserve so
much.  If you want to have boundary=protected_area control the rendering
if both are set, whatever.  But there seems to be some notion that
poeople using that tag causes you trouble, and that you have some basis
to demand that they stop.