There is something I don't get.
Draw primary the same color as trunk and you have no more « discontinuity »? In France, some commercial map (the most sold, I think) use a different rendering for trunk and primary, because you drive faster on trunks. I like it, I think they like it, because they have been using this rendering for decades.
JB.