When using OsmAnd in the streets of Brussels, it doesn't matter what the
language is set to, the French - Dutch combo is consistently pronounced
wrongly.

IPA would indeed solve that.

Editor support would be very welcome to enter the proper characters and to
listen to the result, both in JOSM and iD. And maybe even to help mappers
get started with the most likely pronunciation for a given language.

It would need to be used for ALL tags that contain names, not only the ones
that have 'deviant' pronunciation. In a mutlilingual system it's almost
impossible to define what is and what isn't 'deviating', as the
pronunciation rules are different across almost all languages.

For JOSM, should I propose this as GSoC project for next summer, or would
it not be that hard to implement by our overworked core developers? Or
would it make sense I
give it a go myself?

Polyglot