sent from a phone

> On 16. Jul 2019, at 19:38, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> But exceptions are made in some cases, including where the signage uses the
> abbreviation:

Sometimes I see edit wars where people modify back and forth the value of the
name tag to expand and reintroduce abbreviations. Do not do it. Add both,
particularly add the common name and the name as signposted, and if different,
the official name.

While it may usually seem trivial for a local to expand an abbreviation, it
often isn’t for strangers and people speaking a different language.

Rather than thinking about rules to expand abbreviations we should look at
rules how to create them when needed (both isn’t trivial, but the latter at
least will not have to bother with disambiguation).

Even if you knew the language for the name (which typically is not the case
with “name”, where you can only guess, or compare to a dictionary), there may
be several alternatives for expanding an abbreviation. There are good reasons
why we discouraged using abbreviations from the beginning.

Cheers Martin