I believe introducing into OSM technologies based in AI / machine learning
REQUIRES a concomitant discussion about how the data WILL BE high quality,
because they are quality assured (and perhaps here is a brief sketch of our QA
process, or a pointer thereto).  Anything less feels disingenuous to me, as
well as logically appears to be a false choice.  To say "quality issues are a
seperate issue" (sic) seems an insult to OSM and indeed the very introduction
of the AI technologies themselves to our project.

It is early (well, "earlier") days for these technologies as they are being
built and deployed today, and while many (myself included) agree they can be
useful and have their place, they MUST be accompanied by a social conscious as
we do so.  OSM already has strong tenets like community-developed consensus to
create such a social conscious, so deploying AI without eyes wide open and a
firm hand on the tiller is nothing less than insanity doomed to failure.  The
least we can do is to strongly couple discussions of quality with AI
deployments, rather than divorcing them by declaring them "simply
announcement."  I know that whenever I hear such "announcements" without any
discussion of how quality will be assured that it is time to be immediately
skeptical.  Please, let's keep AI on track by coupling it with discussions of
quality, not making them separate issues, because truly, they are not.  Simply
wishing that we can separate AI and quality will only more firmly entrench
those of us who know to keep them together:  you can have high quality without
AI, but you really shouldn't have AI without high quality.  Not as long as
human wisdom is present and has something to say about it.

Not to put it too dramatically:  do we really want to hasten "the robots are
taking over" by taking the throttle off, by ignoring or diminishing the
importance of quality and its discernment by humans?  Of course not.

SteveA