On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 10:31 AM Florian Lohoff <f...@zz.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 03:45:17PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 12.06.20 15:22, Dave F via talk wrote:
> > > There is a lot of negativity about large changsets, but assessment of
> > > them should be based on quality, not quantity.
> >
> > Yes, we're not discussing a popup that says "You dumbass, why did you
> > create a world-spanning changeset?" ;)
> >
> > The way in which editors deal with that would likely differ; in JOSM it
> > might be a popup that says "are you sure?" and in ID it might be a
> > floating warning somewhere.
>
> I'd rather let josm not download additional data in some distant
> spot as long as you have unpushed changes.

There's some legitimate edge cases for doing this, but I'd say slightly
more often than not when I do this, it's because I was on the wrong layer
and didn't expect to.  A warning that you're not on the layer you think you
are if there's another data layer that's closer that isn't the active layer
would help.

This isn't unique to JOSM, though.  This is *easily* doable with iD as well
(as evidenced by watching OSMCha with a bbox edged on Oklahoma's maximum
extents, Amazon Logistics does this a good 3-4 times a day every day with
changesets spanning the continent).  And I've done it in Vespucci by
accident.