The issue is actually still open in ID

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/5424

and references the more recent request

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/7434

From: Alan Mackie <aamac...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, 13 June 2020 2:26 AM
To: Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org>
Cc: Talk Openstreetmap <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Could/should editors detect/disallow huge changeset
bboxes?

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 at 16:45, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org
<mailto:ba...@ursamundi.org> > wrote:

This isn't unique to JOSM, though.  This is easily doable with iD as well (as
evidenced by watching OSMCha with a bbox edged on Oklahoma's maximum extents,
Amazon Logistics does this a good 3-4 times a day every day with changesets
spanning the continent).  And I've done it in Vespucci by accident.

I get notifications because of this sort of behaviour fairly frequently. I
think iD and Maps.me are by far the most frequent "offenders", followed swiftly
by wheelmap.org <http://wheelmap.org> , but I haven't kept a proper count.

In JOSM a better way to select deleted objects (formerly) within a given area
would be nice, but is it generally less prone to this anyway as new sessions
tend to start as new layers. Manual download for new areas can serve as a
reminder that this isn't "live" too.

There have been requests for iD to warn users if they have unsaved edits far
away before they start editing a new area, but so far these issues have been
closed once it is mentioned that other software also does this on occasion. See
for example this issue:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/7434