Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> writes:

>> Could you clarify the "perhaps" here? If something has been
>> explicitly dedicated to the public domain via CC0, a similar
>> statement, or a relevant law, should it not survive any relicensing
>> attempt? Or is this just about the editorial decision of whether to
>> leave the table cell blank if relicensing is irrelevant for a given
>> import? The wiki has a {{n/a}} template for this purpose.
> I don't see a problem here,  PD works / data and CC0 licenced material
> do not restrict how you use them in any fashion so I don't see why any
> action would be required.

Agreed.  I think it's very important that if the data provider's terms
are ok (which more or less means PD/CC0 for totally ok and ODbL for 95%
ok), that we not ask them to do anything.

Also, what we need is a copyright license, so that's not necessarily --
and hopefully isn't -- a contract.   It seems obvious that asking a US
entity to enter into a contract under foreign law (and the same is
almost certainly true for any government entity in any other
jurisdiction) is just not going to fly.