Dear Federica et al,

While I understand the challenges that were faced in selecting a venue for
the 2023 conference and the subsequent need to reschedule, I am troubled by
the choice of host country for the 2024 event. I firmly believe in the
importance of ensuring that the SotM conference is accessible and welcoming
to all members of our global community. The decision to host the conference
in a country that criminalizes LGBTQ+ individuals, such as Kenya, raises
significant ethical concerns.

It is my understanding that the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF) has
established policies that prioritize inclusivity and respect for human
rights. The recent crackdown on LGBTQ+ rights in Kenya and other countries
in the region is well-documented [1][2][3], and this goes against the
principles of inclusivity that the OSMF stands for.

By choosing a host country where a significant portion of our community
would face the risk of imprisonment and discrimination due to their sexual
orientation or gender identity, we risk alienating and excluding valued
contributors who would otherwise seek to attend the SotM conference. It is
essential to remember that the strength of OpenStreetMap lies in its
diverse and global community, and we should strive to create an environment
that is safe and respectful for all.

I kindly request that the SotM Organising Committee provide a clear and
transparent explanation for the decision to host the conference in Kenya.
It is essential for the community to understand the rationale behind this
decision, especially in light of the potential impact on LGBTQ+
contributors and other participants who may not feel comfortable or safe
attending the conference in such a location.

Furthermore, I urge the committee to reconsider the choice of host country
for the 2024 SotM conference. While I understand that logistical and
financial factors must be taken into account, I believe it is possible to
find alternative venues that align with the OSMF's commitment to
inclusivity and human rights.

I share the concerns of many in the OpenStreetMap community regarding this
issue, and I sincerely hope that the SotM Organising Committee will listen
to these concerns and take them into serious consideration.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I look forward to a
productive and open dialogue about the future of the State of the Map
conference.

Sincerely,

Aimee Knight
OSM: speedbirdsunflower

[1] "Why are Kenya and Uganda cracking down on LGBTQ+ rights?" - Al
Jazeera, March 23, 2023
[2] "Kenya, Tanzania, South Sudan pass anti-homosexuality laws" - PinkNews,
June 23, 2023
[3] Equaldex: LGBTQ+ rights in Kenya (https://www.equaldex.com/region/kenya)

*Aimee - speedbirdsunflower*
OSM Profile <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/speedbirdsunflower> and Wiki