Andrew Hain: "I would like to congratulate the organising team in Nairobi and the SotM Working Group for doing this. Giving the worldwide community a broader understanding of the challenges of mapping Africa and using maps there is positive step for OSM’s inclusiveness as a truly worldwide map. "

I think we need to balance things out. There is a need to expose Africa to different ideas but being pragmatic this won't be done in a day.

I think we also ought to recognise that travel within Africa is not easy.  Many African countries do not have direct flights to Nairobi and even when they do exist they aren't cheap.

"inclusiveness" I think we need to recognise there are many barriers here.  First the cost of flights from say Cairo to Nairobi is close to the cost of London to New York.  Europe to Nairobi in general is more expensive than a transatlantic flight.  Thinking of where our members live do they need a passport or visa?  If it was in the EU or the USA a higher proportion of members would not need a passport or visa.  I seem to recall yellow fever vaccine certificate is required and Ebola outbreaks have occurred in neighbouring countries.

The Canadian government's advice for travel to Kenya is in the link.

Travel advice and advisories for Kenya <https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/kenya>

Basically there is a credible risk of terrorist attacks in Nairobi, and there have been some there already according to the web site.  The crime rate is high so basically you're living in a hotel and the conference area.  Sightseeing is not recommended.

In summation I think what we'll see is a SotM dominated by locals from Kenya, attendees from commercial companies or others on expenses, and a few more wealthy mappers than we would in other locations.  Whether this is good or bad I make no comment.

I note that the recent World/Scout/Jamboree got hit by high temperatures, with global warming should the average expected temperature be taken into account?

For future SotMs I might suggest starting with accommodation, many universities have halls of residence available during the summer months.   Ottawa for example has halls with double beds and ensuites plus there are lecture halls etc available.  Meal plans can be purchased which means that you're eating in the cafeterias true but many conversations at SotM will take place outside the conference rooms and over a meal is a useful place to talk.

I'd suggest running it over a weekend with the weekend free.  That way those on expenses can grab a bit of sightseeing and the airfares typically are cheaper with a Saturday night stay.  Plus you can run a few more informal activities over the weekend.

The EU might be easier than the UK since britexit the UK is no longer a free travel zone for EU citizens and the EU has trains which means a lower average carbon footprint per attendee.

Note to Amanda realistically with the high crime rate and "Women’s safety: Women travelling alone may be subject to some forms of harassment and verbal abuse. Attacks involving sexual assault have occurred."  The LBGTQ side of things might be the least of your problems.

Have fun but do your risk analysis before attending and know what to expect.

Cheerio John