As a gay man, I was considering attending SOTM 2024, but I'm having
reservations after reading what Aimee and Amanda have brought up.

The bid for SOTM 2024 put forward by OSM Kenya [1] has the following
paragraph:

> Nairobi has a more progressive outlook compared to other regions in the
> country, and there is a growing LGBTQ+ community and support organisations
> within the city. Nairobi is a multicultural city, with people from all over
> the world calling it home. Being a major economic and commercial center in
> Kenya, the city attracts people from all over the world. This gives the
> city its diversity and unique features making it one of the best and most
> tourist connection hubs in Africa. Nairobi also serves as a host to several
> international and regional conferences, conventions and seminars and boasts
> of a zero-tolerance policy on discrimination, harassment or any form of
> mistreatment. This includes conferences like the Internet Governance Forum
> in 2023, the United Nations Environment Assembly in 2022 and the
> International Conference on Population and Development in 2019.
>
> In relation to the local LGBTQ+ laws, in 2023, the Supreme Court of Kenya
> ruled that the National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (NGLHRC)
> must be allowed to officially register as a non-governmental organization
> allowing for the community to associate freely. These rulings are a major
> victory for the LGBTQ+ community in Kenya and are also a significant step
> forward for human rights in Kenya.

I appreciate the time and effort the OSM Kenya team put into their bid, and
I'm sure their heart is in the right place regarding LGBT rights. However,
I would like more context from the team here, considering the presence of
anti-LGBT legislation in the country.

Does Equaldex's assessment [2] of LGBT legal rights and public opinion in
Kenya match your understanding of the country?

Are anti-LGBT laws enforced in Kenya? If so, how? Are they enforced
uniformly across the country, in both rural and urban areas?

Is public opinion different towards visiting LGBT foreigners vs. LGBT
locals? If so, how?

If I visit Nairobi, how likely is it that I will experience harassment or
discrimination, whether by ordinary citizens or legal authorities?

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_of_the_Map_2024/Call_for_venues/Nairobi#Is_it_a_LGBT_friendly_space
?
[2] https://www.equaldex.com/region/kenya