I'm an out, queer trans woman. I presume this event won't be safe for people
like me?

It's illegal to be gay in Nairobi, and parliamentarians are proposing even
stricter, oppressive laws¹. Trans people are often lumped into the same group.
The last SotM CoC² said: “[we are] dedicated to providing a harassment-free
conference experience for everyone, regardless of … gender identity and
expression, sexual orientation, …. We do not tolerate harassment of conference
participants in any form”. This CoC wouldn't be possible in 2024, right?

I presume the advice from the SotM WG is that this event cannot for LGBTQ
people, right?

Oh, doesn't this go against the OSMF/SotMWG's safety policy?³

¹
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/kenya-could-follow-uganda-east-african-nations-wage-war-lgbt-rights-2023-06-22/
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66079603
² https://2022.stateofthemap.org/codeofconduct/
³
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/StateoftheMap_Organizing_Committee/StateoftheMap_safety_policy

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 19:56 +02:00, Federica Gaspari <federica.gasp...@live.it>
wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Get ready to meet and connect with old and new mappy friends from the
> global OpenStreetMap community again!
>
> The State of the Map Organising Committee is thrilled to officially
> announce that the global conference of the OpenStreetMap community,
> State of the Map (SotM), will be making its way to Nairobi, Kenya from
> September 6th-8th 2024! This landmark event will bring together
> passionate mappers, data enthusiasts, technologists, and community
> members from all corners of the globe to celebrate the spirit of
> collaboration and open mapping.
>
> Following the good feedback for State of the Map 2022 Firenze, the
> upcoming State of the Map 2024 will once again be held in a hybrid
> format. Building on the valuable lessons and experiences from the
> previous events, the SotM Organising Committee is committed to making
> this edition even more accessible to everyone who wishes to partake in
> this grand celebration of open mapping, sharing passionate voices with
> the entire community.
>  Learn more about the SotM 2024 announcement on the OpenStreetMap blog:
> https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2023/08/14/announcing-state-of-the-map-2024-september-6-to-8-2024-join-us-in-nairobi-and-online/
>
>  More details about the organization will be soon communicated.
> Federica Gaspari on behalf of the SotM Organising Committee

Amanda