Morning All,

We had our performance on Sat night and I did two short brackets with
different teams. The first stint was a blast and my accompaniment
needed no music so we ripped through it without a hitch. The second
stint was with a different guitar and a fiddle and the guitarist had
his lyrics on the floor. In the tune that he sang he was not pitching
too well. I believe he was so worried about reading the words that his
mind wasn’t where it should’ve been, but that’s the way it goes, it
was still fun but a more inhibited effort on his part. Better next
time.

We played a few traditional tunes and several Louvin numbers which
have harmonies. I found that a lot of the groups had good pickers but
weak vocals. The jam is once a month so we aim to learn new tunes for
each performance until the number steadily grows. It was interesting
to see that most other groups had music stands and it seemed to be the
norm.

Out of interest, I read about How To Improve Your Memory and they talk
about Goal Setting, Mind Mapping, Mind Mechanics and so on. I wonder
if there are any school teachers that are in this group, and are there
any special techniques to apply to music?

I’m pretty hopeless with names on first encounter because I take in
the description and features of a person, always forgetting the
seemingly most important thing, the name! When I make a conscious
effort to remember their name, attribute something to it, it works…but
I usually forget to do this, it’s not a habit. How ironic.

I better start using my Mind Tools better.