Holstein,
I've worked with a number of people who use music stands in some
capacity or the other. Laying papers on the floor is not really an
attractive option if after every song the band is all staring down at
the floor for the next song(and considering the age of most everyone I
work with, squinting and an audible "what's that say next?")and is not
necessarily the best solution. Yea, the EC tour has music stands until
everyone remembers what's next. Of course, there is no shortage of
bands using music stands, just not much of it in string bands, eh?
Hartford used a stand, either a regular music stand or a small stand
that more resembled a tray that clipped to the mic stand. The trick
for Hartford was to turn the stand nearly flat so that he could look
down on it without it showing so much. In other words, the stand lies
nearly flat so that the only thing that really shows is the shelf/lip
the material sits on. The presence of the stand can be played down a
lot and it becomes nearly invisible if the overall presentation does
not include fumbling around with the stand but in lively presentation
of the material at hand.

Sure, it's better to know the material by heart so that it can just be
belted out, but I don't think anyone is going to crucify you if you
use and extra piece of equipment to get through the gig. You might try
finding one of those old snazzy music stands like the brass bands used
with your band logo on it. I've used one with David Long quite a bit
and it becomes part of the whole presentation/look.

Do what you have to, boss.
Taterboy