Allie Martin wrote:

On Monday, November 01, 2004, at 02:41 AM, Keith Russell
wrote:

I thought I had sent this off an hour ago, and I just discovered
SEVENTEEN copies in my Outbox! How did that happen?!!!

Seems that you have your Outbox server side. I'd make that local, unless
you depend a lot on keeping drafts available for use on your other IMAP
clients. TB! is still having problems with the Outbox being used server
side. I avoid doing that.

Actually, under Mail management in Account Properties, I have Outbox set to INBOX.Drafts, which of course is on the server. Of course, I also have Sent mail set to INBOX.Sent Items, and it does nothing. TB! doesn't even display my Sent Items folder. It does put my messages there, but if I want to look at one of my previously sent messages, I have to use another client.

This is another instance of TB! not supporting one of the major features of IMAP. If I use The Bat!, I have to give up several important IMAP functions I'm used to using in Thunderbird and Mulberry. I want to be able to start writing a message, and if I don't have time to finish it before leaving the house, save it to the Drafts folder and finish it somewhere else. That's why I switched to IMAP!

> For some time, my experience was that with the synchronisation options
for TB! set to work like ThunderBird's sync routines, their performance
is about the same. Where ThunderBird get's the better of TB! is when
you're forcing it to fulfil multiple requests. For example, you select a
folder to update counts and sync headers and then move to another folder
to continue reading new messages. ThunderBird will spawn another
connection to do both tasks, while TB! will have to do all those tasks
via the same connection.

Yes, and of course, this is the natural thing to do. You don't want to have to sit and wait for every single task to complete. I bought TB! to make my email sessions more effective, not to slow me down.

Good point. I hadn't thought of server/client compatibility. This
means that if I change IMAP providers, as I may do in a few weeks, I
could find the situation reversed. Interesting.

Yes. This may be the case, though Mulberry works well with the big
server apps.

On the other hand, I think Mulberry was designed for a Cyrus server, which I'm using, and I still have those constant "Waiting" dialogs.

Some of my problems might be on MailSnare's end, or might have to do with the route between here and there, considering that other users don't seem to have the number of problems that I have with both Mulberry and TB!

On the other hand, Thunderbird just WORKS.

How do you reload the message? I didn't know that you could reload a
message from the server. AFAIK, it's downloaded once and isn't
downloaded again, unless you purge the folders cache, otherwise the
message is loaded from the cache from then on.

Someone posted how to do this from the menu; I use the message's context menu, which lists a Reload command. It doesn't always help, though, as I'll describe later.

A question? When you're frustrated waiting on TB!, what do you do? Do
you continue waiting

It depends. I'll usually wait for a minute or two, then I may pick up something to read or switch to another application to do some work. Often I'll start up another client and work with it until the frustration dies down enough to check back and see if anything's happened yet.

or do you exit and restart it in frustration. That
sort of thing can really mess up the folder caches etc.

I don't normally do this (I generally give it lots of time), but sometimes it can't be helped. I'll give a report below of the experience I had earlier this evening, and you'll see what I mean.

I thought at first that this was the case, but the fact that the
dates were identical for TB! and Mulberry threw me off, I guess.

Both dates and times for the received columns are identical?

Yes. Interesting, isn't it?

but is there any way I can search The Bat! Wishes (or bugtracker)
to find out?

https://www.ritlabs.com/bt/main_page.php

Where is the search? Are you supposed to use the box labeled Jump? I tried that last night (and again tonight), and it seems that no matter what I enter there, I get the following:

APPLICATION ERROR #1100
Issue 0 not found.

Now, as promised, here's my account of what happened earlier tonight, as I tried to read unread messages in this thread and respond to them:

1. I clicked on my TBBETA folder, but, although the TBBETA message list was displaying, the status bar said I was still in INBOX.

2. I cleared the TBBETA cache. The status bar now said, "IMAP - Server closed connection".

3. I don't remember exactly what I did at this point (just clicking around), but the TB! window went gray and I wasn't able to do anything, including minimizing the program or showing the desktop. (A word of explanation here: I had Power Menu running and had set the main TB! window to "Always on top", so it's possible there was a TB! dialog or the Control Center with running tasks underneath; but I couldn't get to it.)

4. The only option I had at this point was to end the TB! process with Task Manager.

5. I restarted TB!, clicked on the INBOX folder, and cleared INBOX cache. The status bar now said, "IMAP - The folder "INBOX" selected...."

6. I selected "Synchronize now", clicked on a message, and got "No message loaded". I waited, and the message body finally displayed 30-60 seconds later.

7. I displayed the next message without a problem, but when I tried to delete it (several times), nothing happened.

8. I next clicked on the TBBETA folder. I had apparently successfully cleared the cache in the previous session (before the hang), because the message list was empty. The status bar displayed, "IMAP- Server closed connection".

9. I selected "Synchronize This Folder Now". Finally, about two minutes after first clicking on the folder, I got my message list.

10. I successfully read the last couple of messages in the thread! (My final success)

11. I clicked up the thread on Martin's message, and got "No message loaded". I then clicked on my earlier message, with the same result. Reload did nothing, in either case.

12. I again selected "Synchronize This Folder Now".

13. Two minutes later, nothing had happened; I again tried reloading both messages, unsuccessfully. At three minutes, I gave up and started Thunderbird so I could finish what I started. That's why you will see tonight's responses to this thread posted with Thunderbird. I checked again a few minutes, and nothing had changed. I still couldn't read several messages in the thread.

14. Now, a couple of hours later, I am able to read all messages in the thread without a problem, but I need to get this done, so I'm sticking with Thunderbird for now. This is the kind of frustrations I repeatedly have to deal with when I work with TB! Thunderbird, however, is the Energizer Bunny; it may not have all the features, but as I said above, it just works.

Current beta is 3.0.2.4 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: