Hello Allie!

On Friday, February 25, 2005, 6:42 PM, you wrote:

>> LOL But! As was pointed out in
>> mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] if the capability is
>> there, someone outside can "force" you to roll down the window. All
>> the same, an apt analogy, Mark.

> I wonder who that would be. Mary, ...

Well, I was thinking specifically of the anecdote that Paul Van Noord
gave us in the mid that I cited:

Paul Van Noord>> Just this week I received a one page letter with a small
Paul Van Noord>> picture created in M$ word that was 2.29 mb! I reformatted
Paul Van Noord>> it in OpenOfficeand it was only 66k.

Paul said, further, in the same message:

Paul Van Noord>>> At least with a large attachment I can choose to download
Paul Van Noord>>> it. [or not]

Paul  Van  Noord>>>  With  HTML messages I have no choice if I need to
know the content ...

Here is where the "forcing" comes in. Paul needs to know the content.
With "in-line" display of HTML images, he is "forced" to download into
The Bat! whatever is sent in the HTML formatted message and display it
in the View Folder Message Window.

Paul Van Noord>>> ... and I make myself vulnerable in the process.

> ... I'm happily using Thunderbird here
> which has the ability to retrieve images. I haven't had to resist any
> force urging me to use the option when I don't wish to. I haven't
> resisted any urge that a neophyte would be overcome by.

I didn't say that you were, or had. I simply agreed with Paul that the
possibility was there.

> BTW, if the neophyte is curious about TB! not loading images, they'll
> ask us and we'd be the first to tell them to *simply* open the message
> in their browser, leaving them at risk, even if we warn them. :)

> ThunderBird has this feature since it's a Mozilla component so there's
> really no new code to write. TB! would need new functionality
> implemented. I'm indifferent either way about it.

> To me, this is really no different from the fear of elevators by
> staircase users who say that elevators are for those too lazy and that
> they can get trapped or hurt in them. True, but is it really a valid
> argument for not using elevators?

I am tired of analogies and of all this reasoning by analogy.

This is not my fight. I don't receive or send messages in HTML.

It will probably be a long, long time before I need or use IMAP.

I like the version of TB! that I'm now running, and I have the option
to continue to use it for as long as it suits me.

So whatever RitLabs does with The Bat! in the future is fine with me.

But I still agree with the arguments of Tony and Paul. YMMV. ;)

Allie, is your sig delimiter broken? :gdr:

> --
>    /_\   | | | | (_)  ___    | IMAP Clients: The Bat! v3.0.2.8
>   / _ \  | | | | | | / -_)   |               ThunderBird v1.0
>  /_/ \_\ |_| |_| |_| \___|   | OS: WinXP Pro (Service Pack 2)
> -=-=-
> Don't thank me for insulting you. It was my pleasure...

Mary
The Bat 3.0.2.10 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2

 Current beta is 3.0.9.1 Deep Alpha | 'Using TBBETA' information: