Hallo Steve,

On Saturday, September 25, 1999, 12:24:48 AM, Steve Lamb wrote:

SL> To Ron:
SL>      Most likely not, the overhead is too high.  When running on a short time
SL> frame are you really going to cut your throughput by 90+% just on the off
SL> chance that some ISPs may be filtering in a very restrictive manner?  No.

I still think that overhead is not necessarily the concern of
spammers. If they want to get the spam out, and it takes 35 minuters
to do so instead of june 1 minute, but the chances are that they are
read, they'll have success. Empirical data says one in 1,000 is a
positive response for them.

>> That puts subscribed to announcements type mail and user discussion list
>> type mail at risk since all these types of mail are not addressed
>> directly to anyone.  These would get filtered out.

SL> To Ali:
SL>     This is not true.

I agree with this. I have a filter putting posts from TBUDL into this
folder, and I could have another one saying that mail not addressed to
me .AND. not addressed to TBUDL is spam.

SL> <Professor's cap>

This was very educational, thanks. But how does this help the machine
to tell spam from legit mail? I don't think there is a way, since it
is the *content* of a mail that makes it a spam. I know that a mail
from "Svetlana, the Russian Beauty" will be spam, and I know that a
subject "Want to get rich quickly?" is a spam, but my machine does
not.

I have to say that I started following Leif Gregory's "How to avoid
spam" and have forwarded spams to the "root@" of all domains that I
could find in the headers, and the number of spams have decreased
tremendously. I believe spammers have a list, equivalent to ORB, that
lists email addresses known as "hostile" and have me taken off most
their "One million email adresses" I got offered earlier.

--

Cheers,
Thomas                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.36 Beta/4
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using a Celeron-MMX 366 Mhz, 128MB RAM