Hi, all,
On 24/09/1999, at 22:38,
Steve Lamb (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
regrouped the troops and said:

Anti-spam filters (was:Re[5]: List Administration Note)

SL> Friday, September 24, 1999, 11:12:39 AM, Thomas wrote:
>> I still think that overhead is not necessarily the concern of
>> spammers. If they want to get the spam out, and it takes 35 minuters
>> to do so instead of june 1 minute, but the chances are that they are
>> read, they'll have success. Empirical data says one in 1,000 is a
>> positive response for them.

SL>     And in that same 35 minutes they could pump out ~120% more addresses.  So
SL> if 5 is a "good" return, then 690 must be much better.
There is a little difference between a post which is *sent* and a post
which is *read*.

I think that, when a commercial company send me its "snailspam", they
may print a lot more addresses with an ink-jet or a laser printer than
by hand, don't you think so ? And most of them actually use huge quick
printer to do the job.

But some actually pay housewives to hand write addresses. Why ?
Because they actually know that this seems *personal* snailmail, and
a very bigger amount of receivers will open the envelope instead of
sending everything in the litter box *before*.

*Some* spammers may have the same idea. And, for *some* of us (not me,
at this time), they are more numerous than the standard ones.

It is possible that they share the addresses of their targets, so,
when one begin to individually spam you, all the family act the same
way some time after. And this may give, to this particular address,
more 'TO' spam than 'BCC' spam.

Nobody told you this is *your* case :-))

Claude.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thought of the day (randomly french or english)
...au pire, [le monde] est l'image réfléchie
de nos fantasmes et de nos souhaits - MJB.