Hello, fellow Bat-lovers.

On Wednesday, January 12, 2000, 1:13:00 AM, tracer wrote:

[snip]

Keith>> It actually seems to be a file maintenance error caused, or at least
facilitated, by The Bat!
> No, its 99% sure a file the bat is trying to write to/create and cannot.
> You could run a find over your system, search for files modified the
> last day and see whats there impacting the bat.
> Check the drive on space available (!!!), files being write protected
> (unlikely).
> Maybe even a temp directory being corrupted/filled up.

It appears that you might have hit the nail squarely on the head here,
tracer. c:\temp had Bat-related files, and c:\windows\temp had nearly
14,000 (yes! You read right!) batxxx.tmp files. I cleared both
directories and, so far, everything seems to be working. Downloads are
also very fast. The acid test will come later when I have a large
volume of messages waiting for download. I do wish I knew what caused the
problem in the first place.

Thanks to the several people who posted lengthy and helpful responses
both on the list and privately. Maybe next time, I'll need to be
appearing to bash The Bat! from the beginning--it seems to bring out
its defenders 8-).

Seriously, there are a lot of things I like about The Bat!, and if
this problem really is resolved, I will be a very happy camper.

Thanks again.

[snip]

--
 Keith Russell