Chiming in a bit late in the thread, but nevertheless:

I have tested a number of firewalls (Conseal, ZoneAlarm among them)
and AtGuard beats them all.

It is certainly not for the average user but the control it gives over
what to block and what to pass is next to perfect.

Initially I tried starting it when connecting and stopping it when
going off-line, and this *did* freeze my system (Win98).

I agree with tracer that a firewall should not be started/stopped
continuously. AtGuard can be disabled with a right-click anyway.

I am sure sorry to see it go.

István