On Tue, 2 May 2000 14:48:06 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

8<

>     Simple.  The block which is a paragraph is the one defined with a hard CR
> and the one that is not is defined with a soft CR.  How TB! defines those is
> up to the internal logic which is, as I demonstrated, not limited to the logic
> of the transmit medium.

<grin> Let me put on my bib.

What's the difference between a hard and soft return?

My understanding is that a hard CR is one that the user invokes usually
with the keyboard which indicates that the cursor is moved to a new line
and this new line will be universally reflected. This is in contrast to a
soft CR where the wrapping is virtual so to speak as in when one enables
wrapping in a document so that it may be read more easily. The points
where the lines are re-wrapped for reading although the document is
unaffected is called soft returns. IOW, if I copy and paste a Word
document to my editor, each line is one long stream of text, with window
wrapping disabled. This is in contrast to copy and pasting a TB! message
just composed.

The reason why I wish to clarify this is because with TB!, when composing
and the lines get wrapped, these CR's, although inserted by the editor,
really equate to hard CR's. The wrapping isn't redone upon sending as far
as I can tell. This is the basis behind it's strict WYSIWYG editing
engine. The concept of a soft CR is therefore not present in this editor
as far as my knowledge of what it is goes.

--
© 2000 Allie Martin       /*\       Using TB! v1.42 Beta/20 on Win2k Pro
---