On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:09:07 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:

KP> "No one"?! I'm on my 2nd day of evaluating TB, after being a PMMail
KP> power user. So far I'm *not* pleased at the amount of work I'm
KP> having to do to get fairly simple functionality. I *don't* want all
KP> the verbiage thrown in by the default templates.

Uhm. Delete the verbiage from the templates and forget it?

KP> (Now I know why I always get these stupid, content-free, "Hi, Ken"
KP> things on the top of everyone's mail.)

:-)

KP> Filters don't seem to work intuitively.

Again, I'm wondering what you mean here. Intuitive to me here sounds
like how PMMail did things.

KP> Typing a piece of a To: string doesn't seem to be matching. (Do I
KP> have to match the whole To: string?)

No. Hmmm, I'm not having any problems where that is concerned.

KP> I can't apply a block of filters to a selection of messages in an
KP> arbitrary folder.

Now that is a piece of functionality I've been yearning for.

KP> TB also lacks PMMail's "filter builder" tool, in which one selects a
KP> set of candidate messages and the filter builder creates a simple
KP> filter based on the union of message senders. (OTOH, TB lets me
KP> create the destination folder from the filter creation dialog,
KP> something PMMail lacks.)

That filter builder sounds like potential trouble but if it worked for
you fine. I'd rather create my own filters manually.

KP> I want to be able to reply quoting just a selection of text from the
KP> original message. Selecting the text and hitting Reply still quotes
KP> the complete original message.

There are a number of ways of doing this. Select the text in the message
and

a) Hit <CTRL><F4)
b) Hold down the <SHIFT> key while hitting the reply toolbar button.
c) Go to the Message -> Specials -> Reply quoting selected text

KP> Now I've learned that I can't use my own editor simply to get around
KP> missing features in the built-in editor, or to perform more advanced
KP> composition, without laborious cut-and-paste.

Version 2 almost certainly will support the use of an external editor.
Marck, can you back me up on that one?

KP> I am not pleased. I expect I'll be uninstalling the eval copy today.
KP> TB is probably a good upgrade from Netscape or OE, but at best it's a
KP> big step sideways from PMMail, with some pretty serious tradeoffs to
KP> get a few features that PMMail lacks.

PMMail is ahead of TB! in terms of implementation of features and
polish. However, in terms of raw features and power, TB! is way ahead of
PMMail. I could never go back to using PMMail. I used PMMail for almost
2 years, 18 months in my OS/2 days and 6 months during my NT4 days. I've
been using TB! for just over a year. The things I do with TB! here I
could never do with PMMail. All that I did with PMMail, I can do with
TB!. It's just a matter of the features that mean the most to us.

--
-=A.C. Martin=-    [TB! v1.46 Beta/3 «» Win2k Pro SP1]
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey