On 20-09-2000 at 01:03, Ming-Li kindly wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 19, 2000, 3:12:16 PM, A. wrote:

[fixed and proportional fonts again]

>> How does the recipient come into the picture? Where's
>> the consideration for the recipient in this decision? The recipient is
>> not involved, hence it's selfish, or a sender centric choice.

> I don't really get this, either. How one read one's mail is for sure
> of no body's concern. As to sending mail, those who use proportional
> fonts usually don't send anything that need exact positioning, and
> they do, they can always switch to mono fonts to do so.

And if they do on occasion, they'll usually make sure that
their tables and columns look right. I know that I always
done so: sending messages to myself and changing them until
they looked perfect.

But I totally agree with Ming-Li: since I hardly ever sent
mail that needs fixed width and especially since I take
great care how any of my mail that includes lists, tables
etc look for the recipient and gear them towards fixed fonts
(how else can you make a table?), you can hardly go and say
that me wanting to SEE and compose my messages in

>> *--------------------------------------------------*
>> * Try looking at this block of text with a         *
>> *--------------------------------------------------*

> Fine example as it is, let's be honest: we don't need such exact
> positioning very often. And if a user wants to read that with

Exactl;y. Plus, by now we prop fonts users have become quite
apt at mentally repositioning ^^^^'s and ---'s.

> As I've said many times, I personally like mono fonts just fine. But
> I see no point waging a war against people who prefer proportional
> fonts.

Ming-Li, can I kiss your hand?

- K -

--

You will find me if you want me in the garden
unless it's pouring down with rain