Hello Thomas,

On  Friday, September 22, 2000  at  11:58:26 GMT +0800 (which was 8:58 PM
where I live) witnesses say Thomas Fernandez typed:

> I love disclaimers. ;-)

I love writing disclaimers. :)  (Please note, this was a joke.  It was
intended to be not funny.)

> Oops, while typing this, Allie's and your follow-up messages just came
> in. So alt-L is not just the manual version of auto-format. They do
> different things. Didn't know that.

Yep, in fact alt-L (and its siblings for other justified modes) have
one distinct advantage.  You can select the lines you want to reflow.
Here as an example, I've mangled part of your message:

> Oops, while typing this,
>  Allie's and your follow-up
> messages just came
> in.
> So alt-L is not just the manual
> version of auto-format.

This has pretty ugly formatting, but let's say I want to keep the last
two lines the way they are, so I'll select some text from each of the
other lines and hit alt-L.

> Oops, while typing this, Allie's and your follow-up messages just
> came in.
> So alt-L is not just the manual
> version of auto-format.

So with alt-L it is possible to reflow text in a list or a table
without losing the <cr><lf> marks.  The trick is to highlight text
from the lines you want to reformat.

Happy editing.

--
Thanks for writing,