Tuesday, May 08, 2001, 10:20:33 PM, Thomas wrote:

T> Hello Yuki,

T> On Tue, 8 May 2001 21:27:23 +0900 GMT (08/05/2001, 20:27 +0800 GMT),
T> Yuki Taga wrote:

YT>> From 1.51 to 1.52 is a **minor** version change.

T> I think the Connection Center is a major change.

If so, then it should have an appropriate version number.  The 1.52
indicates a tweak, nothing else.  So perhaps the error is in the version
number selected by RIT.

YT>> For most users, there is simply no justification in downloading it
YT>> and installing it -- unless you want to be constantly on the
YT>> buggy, cutting edge of development.

T> This is generally true. But how about new users who download for the
T> first time from the official page and get a buggy "new features"
T> version?

RIT should be *especially* careful about this, as new users won't stay
users if their first impressions are buggy.  There should be a known-good
version that is easily accessible, and the rest should mostly be kept out
of the hands of the great unwashed.  <lol>

T> Shouldn't all 1.52 a...f...z versions be on the beta page only for
T> now?

YT>> Software construction is a trial and error process.

T> If that were true, software engineering would be in deep trouble. No,
T> it is not trial and error. An engineering-style approach to software
T> development prevents this.

As a programmer, I can tell you it is indeed a trial and error process.
Yes, there is an engineering style approach, but this is not bricks and
mortar; this is software.  No engineering style approach can eliminate
bugs. The thousands and thousands of version numbers for almost every
existent program are a testament to this.  Huge numbers of these revisions
are simply to eliminate bugs, rather than to add enhancements.

YT>> From 1.51 to 1.52 is not going to improve your sex life. Pretty sure about
YT>> that.

T> You are right. How did you know that?

Womens' intuition.

YT>>  And 1.52x to 1.52y is not likely help much either.

T> Really? In that case, what is the improvement? ;-)

Does the dishes now.  ^_^

--
Best,

Yuki