Hello Yuki!

On Wednesday, May 09, 2001 at 12:13:46 AM you wrote:

> Few programs other than the most trivial are ever "finished" anymore.  Yes,
> I'm afraid that every piece of software you buy or use is essentially a
> beta that someone in authority has decided is good enough to call a
> release.

So, Ms is right to sell cars that do not function properly? And I mean
major functionality (like being on the highway at 100 mph when your
car "decides" to just stop running and spins around and around).

We can, I think, all agree that there *can* be minor (cosmetic) bugs
in a programme, especially if it is sufficiently complex. Most new
versions of programmes come out with major new features or even
complete re-workings of UI etc. For some years one of the major car
lines from MS (Word) had the same bug: It couldn't handle footnotes
correct in spreading them over pages. Another bug had to do with not
giving out the right page number for an automatic TOC.

When WordPerfect 8 came out in Germany it was useless (absolutely, not
just practically) because it crashed. The American version was OK,
there was a problem with the implemented multi-language approach. That
was never really resolved, now WP is not developed further for
Germany.

corelDraw and Photopaint had major re-workings after they were
released in the 9-version, the patches (Service Packs) did not work
correct, and together had the size of a very complex programme (ca. 52
MB).

Beta-testing is for beta-testers not for people who need a running
programme and pay for it. So, the public-beta approach by RIT is
honourable and good. But don't make "normal" users involuntarily
beta-testers!

- --
Dierk Haasis

PGP keys available: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendMyPGPkeys

The Bat 1.52f

Windows 95 4.0 1212 C

Wherever Germany extends her sway, she ruins culture. (Friedrich
Nietzsche)