Hello Mary,

DH>> Or one of your partition uses Doubledisk (or whatever the name
DH>> today is)?

MC> No idea - my supplier set up the partitions.

To see if the whole partition is compressed, go to My Computer, right
click on the partition, then Properties, and look for "Compress drive
to save disk space." If checked, the whole partition's compressed.

Under W2K, compression can be selectively applied down through folders
to the level of individual files. To see if a particular folder or
file is compressed, right-click, Properties, Advanced button,
"Compress contents to save disk space." If it's checked, compression's
being used. However, it's unlikely that compression's been applied to
your hard disk -- it's infrequently used these days on desktop PC's
due to the very low cost of storage.

But this was just strictly FYI. Even if your files *are* compressed,
it won't matter. File access under an NT-based system like W2K is
*totally* under the responsibility of the system. Programs like TB!
CANNOT, repeat CANNOT get to the files themselves. They request the
file from W2K. W2K then worries about fetching the file from FAT,
FAT32, or NTFS, and it decompresses as necessary. The added constraint
under W2K is _security_. The requesting user, process or service won't
get the file if it doesn't have permission. Since you're Administrator
on your system, you have the right to *any* file found locally -- no
exceptions.

Under Windows 98, Windows 95 and DOS, programs could (and often did)
access files themselves. Under NT4/W2K/WXP, such file access simply
causes an error and the programs are stopped cold by the system.

So, I think your problem has got nothing to do with the file system or
compression. Best look elsewhere for the cause.

I suggest that you install TB! on the same partition as the other
programs (Netscape and Eudora) that you've been using with success.
Send yourself some attached files with each. Set up TB! to emulate as
much as possible how Eudora is configured. (I can help with that if
you like. I just "graduated" from Eudora after having used it for many
years.) Locate downloaded attached files in the same directory, etc.

I think you'll find the answer this way, if you're still game.

Another idea is to look in Event Viewer. You may find an error listed
every time you try to send the file. If you want some more help,
please contact me privately.

regards, Andy

[Using The Bat! 1.53t under Windows 2000 Pro SP2]