On 20 May 2002, 10:37, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

> I can remember way back when i first started using the bat! and run
> across some oddities with my quotings being mixed up and behaving
> strangely in my texts. I then was told that this had to do with the
> auto-formating, (or was it autowrap) being turned on. I got the advice
> to turn it off and manually format the msgs which i did. My question,
> stupid as it may seem, is if a feature screws up a piece of text so
> that you can't use that feature and have to turn it off, why on earth
> is this feature even there? and how should you use it to use it
> correctly?
~~~

Hi Krister,

Since you addressed the question at me, I'll do my best to answer.
That said, I have nothing to do with Ritlabs apart from being a
satisfied customer.

Auto-format and auto-wrap are not the same thing. Auto-format fully
reformats the current paragraph whenever you press a key. Auto-wrap
merely wraps your text to the next line whenever the insertion point
reaches the right-hand margin.

I normally have auto-wrap switched on and auto-format switched off
because that best suits my typing style. However, there are times when
I'm in two minds about what I want to write (or how I want to express
my thoughts), which results in lots of mid-line edits. At times like
that, a quick stab at Shift+Ctrl+F (toggling on auto-format) saves a
multitude of "Alt+L's". Of course, you need to be writing a plain
paragraph at the time of use.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane