Hello Jim!

On Saturday, September 28, 2002 at 11:57:03 AM you wrote:

> Sorry, I completely disagree with you on this.

No, you don't.

> This being the case,I do not see any problem in annotating the text or subject
> line of an E-mail.  Because some people may be lazy or careless in their
> subject headings, this "slackness" should not penalise the recipient.

This is nothing else than what I wrote: "Annotating" being the
operative word here. It is something completely different from
"Changing" or "Altering".

Your reply to me and mine to you are different messages than the
original one. I cite your comments, upon which I comment anew, just
for convenience (better to follow a discussion, honesty about the
sender's intent etc.), I don't change them. With one exception, I
"cut" them to the gist. If you or someone else thinks I did
misinterpret and misrepresent you, you can say so and I have to give
in on the latter part if you are right.

What I cannot do is take your comments, adjust them as I like (even
for private use!) and then either say it is mine or it is yours. What
I can do, is write something that is clearly identified as a comment
unto it (regardless if it is a letter in paper or an e-mail).

And I again remind us of the Memo function which does exactly that and
can be used in filtering for, i.e., archival purposes.

--
Dierk Haasis
http://www.Write4U.de

PGP keys available: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendMyPGPkeys

The Bat 1.61 on Windows 95 4.0 1212 C

In zweifelhaften Fällen entscheide man sich für das Richtige. (Karl
Kraus)