Hi James.

At 10:45 AM on Saturday, September 28, 2002
you [JS] wrote the following about 'Editing
incoming mail (was: Wish list item)':

JS>>> [...] There's simply no reason not to
JS>>> have this feature available. [/...]

>>   Sure there is.

>>   This is a different program & the
>>   feature[s] you are talking about can be
>>   handled differently in TB!.

JS> Ok, badly stated...there is no reason I
JS> see that this feature shouldn't be
JS> considered. Better?

  Yes.

>>   If your group can't be retrained, must we
>>   conclude that The Bat! has to be changed to
>>   meet their requirements?

JS> Absolutely! [...] Call it lobbying for
JS> your interests to be considered. [...]
JS> I've seen you raise a good many argument
JS> for and against features based upon what
JS> you feel would serve email users better.

  A valid point but I think lobbying for
  something that already exists in a
  different form sort of belongs in the dept.
  of redundancy dept.

JS> Have you ever come across an office or
JS> department you know would benefit from
JS> switching to TB only to hold that
JS> suggestion because [...] popular software
JS> has a 'dumbing' effect.

  Sure but I don't think that's the point; at
  least that's not my point.

  My point is that if a suggested feature
  can't be accomplished in a given program,
  it should be placed on the wish list &
  weighed against the other suggested
  features. But if, as in this case, I
  believe the program can already handle the
  stated need, then I don't think that the
  program should be dumbed down to facilitate
  its use.

  Dumbed down, like television network fare
  in the U.S. is a product that tries to
  please the lowest common denominator. I
  just don't buy this approach.

  In addition, I think there are other
  programs, Mailbag Assistant or Zoot for
  instance, that are far more able to
  categorize, archive & gather emails on a
  specific subject than TB!

  Do I expect a Dept to learn all these
  programs? Of course not. That's why Outlook
  & OE exist.

  TB! is always going to be a niche product
  -- hopefully a big enough niche to reward
  its developers -- and there is no reason,
  IMO, to turn it into something that its
  not.

  IMO, that's a basic problem with a lot of
  creative software. It just keeps adding
  more & more stuff & loses its basic value
  of efficiency like those "other" programs.

  Look, its only a matter of philosophy. I
  enjoy this sort of exercise but I agree w
  you that one of the moderators will
  probably jump in [& rightfully so] & ask
  that this thread go elsewhere.

  Let's bag it before they tag us.

  Take care.

--