Hello Jan,

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 11:19:22 -0400 GMT (28/09/02, 22:19 +0700 GMT),
Jan Rifkinson wrote:

JR> A valid point but I think lobbying for something that already
JR> exists in a different form sort of belongs in the dept. of
JR> redundancy dept.

Most functions in TB exist in several forms. How do you reply to a
message? Do you use the mouse or ctrl-enter? How do you create a new
message: Open the AB first, or click on the New Message icon and then
look for the address?

It is  possible to change the subject (or any other part) of an
incoming message, yes. Especially with Allie's filter it is not really
difficult any more. But then, why not have a button that does the same
thing, but in one step, increasing ease-of-use?

JR> Dumbed down, like television network fare in the U.S. is a product
JR> that tries to please the lowest common denominator. I just don't
JR> buy this approach.

What do you thing about increasing usability? Does that qualify as
dumbing down a product? If so, I am against labelling buttons
correctly, or using buttons at all. The user might find them useful
and will get dumb.

JR> TB! is always going to be a niche product -- hopefully a big
JR> enough niche to reward its developers -- and there is no reason,
JR> IMO, to turn it into something that its not.

While James gave the example of his office, I think also non-office
users (emailoholics come to mind) might find such a feature in TB
useful.

JR> Look, its only a matter of philosophy. I enjoy this sort of
JR> exercise but I agree w you that one of the moderators will
JR> probably jump in [& rightfully so] & ask that this thread go
JR> elsewhere.

I think this is still very TB related, though. ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

"I'm not rushing into being in love. I'm finding fourth grade hard
enough." (Regina, 10)

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM