Dear Simon,

On 14:35 04.12.2002, you [Simon ([EMAIL PROTECTED])]
wrote...

> at  all  significant,  and  if  a  postmaster  is  going  to whine about the
> occassional  bounced  message  they've he or she has spend far too much time
> tracing  back  to  a local Mailwasher user then well, what can I say accept,
> try finding another hobby! ;-)

I think it is a good time to remember everyone that eMail is a
*priviledge*, not a right. Mind you, there are still providers that do
not offer you a mailbox.

Then, I'd like to point you to
<http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-postmaster.php>, which is a RBL
list I've seen more and more deployed, and which would occur deleting
mails from sites that do not know how to use their postmaster
accounts. Oh, and before the mail user starts to "whine" about these
mails being rejected, it is not acceptable to feed mail through an MTA
which hasn't even a way to contact the responsible person. [1]

Third, just like Peter, I'm having a look on several MXes, beside
others the one servicing this mailing list as well. If you provide
mail to your users, you have to keep your server running. This means
that you will look why a message to one of your users bounced. If you
find out that in fact this user *faked* a bounce message with your
postmaster adress, you *will* let the user know that this was a
one-time experience for him. See my first paragraph.

Do *you* send you bounces as "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"?

Cheers,
 Johannes                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[1] Makes me laugh how effective TheBats random quote chooser is :) If
you wonder, that was a *real* bounce.

--
The following destination addresses were unknown:
SMTP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>