> I had a situation occur over the weekend (when I am less attentive to
> my mail) which caused a mail filter loop and sent out 457 'fwd: fwd:
> fwd: .... .... ' messages to a mailing list I manage.  That is 457 X
> 10,212 (or 4.66 _MILLION_ plus) messages before I caught the error.
> I still don't know why it happened, as the logs don't tell me what the
> 'trigger' was.  This filter has been working properly for 14 months,
> so I'm at a loss as to what happened.  I'm thinking the mailing list
> that sends out the daily bulletin involved has slightly changed their
> format, just enough to foul up my filter, but I am still in the
> process of investigating.

  Sorry to here about your problem - the feeling is awful, I reckon!

  I manage 6 complete mailinglists with Digests (my own software) on a
  PII 233 - works like a breeze. The problem you were having is avoided
  on my lists easily since I add a small line in all outgoing messages:
  I set Field %ORG="Musaic.Net (Musaic.Net Relay Server featuring Anti-
  virus & Antispam filtering)". So I avoid loops by simply having a rule
  in front of my mailing list rules that grabs any returning message with
  a line "Musaic.Net (Musaic.Net Relay Serve [snip]" in Organization.

/ St