Hello David,

Tuesday, September 9, 2003, 11:59:41 AM, you wrote:

DB> I don't want to open a can of worms here (or maybe I do) but what
DB> is wrong with using HTML in email?

I'm  a  broadband  user so I don't care about bandwidth so it's a most
point  for  me.  Most  people  are never going to be graphic designers
because  they have no artistic ability or colour sense. However, these
people  feel a terrible urge to inflict their eye destroying fonts and
colours  on  me.  It's usually the case that the less ability a person
has  to  choose colours, the more likely their mails are to have them.

I'm  also  terribly  prejudiced against fonts, if you want me to think
you're   a   5  year  old  feel free to use Comic Sans, otherwise use a
businesslike font. It's a pain for me to have to set things up so that
stupid unreadable fonts are displayed correctly.

The  next  point  is the fact that e-mails don't need fancy formatting
99%  of  the  time.  Most  of the non mailing list mails I receive are
devoid  of   punctuation  and  are  usually written in one CASE OR THE
OTHER.  Oh,  html mail, not I can see some AOLer shouting in blue text
on  a  fluorescent pink background. If you mail isn't important enough
to be written correctly, why do you need formatting?

I  know not everyone misuses html mail, but enough do and I can see no
real benefits for it. If you're formatting is so wonderful, convert it
to  a  pdf  and send it as an attachment, then I won't lose any of it's
wonderfulness.

--
Jamie Dainton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Leaders of the world's richest nations meet in Cancun on September
10th 2003. Oxfam is presenting them with a petition to make trade
fair. Be sure your voice is heard. Sign the 'Big Noise' petition to
make trade fair at: http://www.maketradefair.com/go/join/?p=omf1