At 5:43 PM on 9/9/2003, Allister Jenks typed ...

A> I think everyone in this thread who is supporting the use of HTML in
A> emails should read the HTML 4.01 specification - all of it.  Then you
A> will understand that HTML is a /semantic/ markup language.  It is
A> _*NOT*_ a presentation tool.  And, more importantly, you will
A> understand *why* this is the case.

(Something tells me this has veered into TBOT territory, so this is my
final post -- here or there -- on the topic ....)

HTML is a semantic/markup language in the same way that a rhinoceros
is a paperweight. The HTML spec was flawed from the beginning and has
been modified over the years so that it's now even worse. I wouldn't
design a website without CSS and I'm beginning to follow XHTML
standards on sites I'm involved with because enough browsers follow
enough of the standards well enough that following the standards
works.

It's true that HTML wasn't intended for use in e-mail programs, but
the world is full of instances of things being used for tasks they're
not intended to accomplish. Why? Because they do what people want to
do "well enough". Besides that, as a list owner, I can tell you that
HTML-laden posts cause a lot less trouble than RTF-filled posts.

I'm one of the let's-avoid-HTML-mail folks, but I know that in those
instances when I want to send mail that is formatted for presentation,
HTML is the *only* way I can do it and hope for it to be readable by a
nearly everyone who reads it.

--
Bill Blinn Technology Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - 9/9/2003 at 7:26 PM
Technology Editor, Newsradio 610 WTVN, Columbus, Ohio