At 9:52 PM on 2/19/2004, ken green typed ...

k> Yikes!  That's putting it nicely...  Why would anyone run a machine that
k> close to capacity? Hard drives aren't that expensive... Get more space!

Back in the old days when the big (40MB shared by 35 people) hard
drives on the DEC PDP-11 RS/TS system reached 80%, we got warning
messages from the IT folks. If usage got above 90%, we received
personal visits who "helped" us "audit" our usage. Translation: "Let's
see what you can delete." On rare occasions when we hit 99%, they
started deleting things on their own. This is know as the "Next time
they'll pay more attention" principle.

Disk space is so inexpensive now that I try to keep the disks half
empty or more. So far, with two 120GB drives, I've succeeded in doing
that.

k> Windows doesn't even like to defrag without 15-17% free space.  I can
k> imagine the performance issues one would encounter with a 95% filled HD.

Doesn't Windows start carping when free space drops below 85% or so? I
may be remembering something that didn't occur, but I seem to recall
some version of Windows grumbling about this.

--
Bill Blinn Technology Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - 2/20/2004 at 7:33 AM
Technology Editor, Newsradio 610 WTVN, Columbus, Ohio