Hello Bill,

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:43:53 -0500 GMT (20/02/2004, 19:43 +0700 GMT),
Bill Blinn Technology Editor wrote:

This is quickly moving into the OT realm, but I'll reply anyway.

> Back in the old days when the big (40MB shared by 35 people) hard
> drives on the DEC PDP-11 RS/TS system reached 80%, we got warning

We had 10MB Winchester drives (removable, about the size of the things
you use for curling) in 1980/81. I was assigned 1MB on it. This seemed
like unlimited space! I never filled it with my programs, which were
written in Pascal. Not Turbo-Pascal, mind you, that hadn't been
invented yet. But I was a wizzard with pointer types. Oh well, the
"good old times". ;-)

When I got a 2GB drive a couple of years ago, my friends classified
it a "football-field size" HD. When I upgraded my mobo later on, it
wouldn't support such "old small drives" and I had to buy a new HD as
well.

k>> Windows doesn't even like to defrag without 15-17% free space.  I can
k>> imagine the performance issues one would encounter with a 95% filled HD.

> Doesn't Windows start carping when free space drops below 85% or so? I
> may be remembering something that didn't occur, but I seem to recall
> some version of Windows grumbling about this.

What is carping? I noticed that something called carp.exe is running
on my PC, but I have no idea what it is.

f'up2tbot.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

If God dropped acid, would he see people?

under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using a Pentium P4 1.7 GHz, 256MB RAM