At this point I need to make sure that you (and everyone else) know
that I am NOT "attacking" in seeking the answers to this question.
Though my fictitious example may be lame, the question (I think)
deserves a definitive answer (not necessarily by you, of course). I
only seek the truth!

rg>> Seriously, 2 words does not a complex search make. If I need to
rg>> *RELIABLY* find the email where I invited JANIS to the DANCE (only
rg>> want emails where BOTH those words exist):
PC> personally, I'd probably do the search differently. Either just on
PC> JANIS, or use the FROM:, put my name in, then use JANIS as the search.

I don't think you *can* put your name in the FROM and JANIS as the
search term. Can you?

In my example, assume I've sent Janis many hundreds of emails, the
dance was probably over a year ago, and I invited hundreds of folks to this
dance.

The only sane and reliable way to quickly find that one message I seek
is to do an AND search. I am (as I am SURE others are) seeking the
answer to why one search works one way and another the other way.

rg>> 1) how should I enter the search strings? Is example 1 or 2 above
rg>> correct? They report different matches!
PC> my test showed 17 return emails on one method, 18 on the other, so they
PC> were probably the same for 90+% of the search.

This is the root question then!  What is the difference between the 2
versions (with vs w/o spaces around the &) of the search syntax?

With hundreds (or more) of hits 90% isn't good enough.

rg>> 2) Is it different from version to version?
PC> I can't answer that, did you check the beta archives for SEARCH?

I think it may be.

--
Rich