Wednesday, August 25, 2004, 6:22:49 AM, you wrote:

>   Instead of the plan you've described above, you could copy the link
>   from the message or article and paste it into SmartBat. Then when you
>   are ready to review the articles, just reopen SmartBat (F6) and click
>   on the link. That avoids the potential memory drain on your system and
>   gives you the ability to walk through the accumulated links when you
>   are ready.

Thanks for this idea. Unfortunately it seems to suffer from the same problem. When I
click on the link in
smart link, it opens a window. When I click on link 2, it opens a 2nd window.

>   I've set a system wide hot key (Ctrl-Shift-F12) that opens SmartBat,
>   no matter whether I am working in The Bat! at the time or not.

>   Another potential benefit of using SmartBat is that you can set up
>   another "Pad" (as they are called, really just a text file) for clips
>   from the articles you are reviewing, should you wish to use quotes
>   from those articles in your work.

Thanks, I think I have. In fact I'd like to make a pitch for an absolutely wonderful
piece of software I found
a month or two ago, which I just realized will solve my problem.

It's called ClipMate (www.thornsoft.com). Every time you copy something it maintains
it in a database, and you
can set up different folders to store the clips in. It's perfect for keeping and
saving quotes, as you suggest,
because it even records the url from which the quote was taken (though it only does
that with Netscape and IE,
so I have to switch to those applications if I really need the url).

In this case, what I'll do is set up a specific folder for urls that I take from email
messages. When its time
to read them, I'll go to clipmate, set it on the folder, and then take advantage of
its 'power paste' feature.
When you have it set to that, it pastes each clip sequentially. So I'll open a
browser, paste the first url,
and read the article. When I click paste again, ClipMate will automatically go to the
next one, and I'll stay
in the same window.

I can't say enough about ClipMate for people that collect information from the
internet.

Sorry to sound like a commercial, but I'm very enthusiastic about it   :)

--
Jim Kling
science writer