> Alternatively, could I set up The Bat on the laptop, but have it
> point to the mail directory on the desktop where the messages are
> kept, and merely copy that directory to my laptop when I travel with
> it, which is only a few times a year?

One other thought:   I keep two computers synchronized daily, morning
and night, by using a little program (25 bucks I think) called
Directory Toolkit.  It does a host of other things, but I use it to
synchronize a directory called "all my stuff" from one computer to
another.  I install TheBat!, all of its files, and half a dozen other
programs into that directory.  Then the program syncs from one to the
other.  You can do it with drives on one mapped to the other on the
network, or more frequently I just do it with my flash drive or other
external USB drive.  It is also handy way to synchronize to a backup
drive.  I always have it set to add new files, delete ones no longer
on the source, and update all that need updating.  It saves lots of
time since it only updates that small percentage that need it.

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID