Hi, Dan and other list members:

Although I have kept the same subject line, because the subject remains
the same, a more appropriate title, at this point would be
"synchronization revisited."

Tuesday, April 1, 2008, 10:20:39 PM, Dan Lester wrote:

>I keep two computers synchronized daily, morning
>and night, by using a little program (25 bucks I think) called
>Directory Toolkit.  It does a host of other things, but I use it to
>synchronize a directory called "all my stuff" from one computer to
>another.  I install TheBat!, all of its files, and half a dozen other
>programs into that directory.  Then the program syncs from one to the
>other.

OK.  I have successfully installed The Bat on the laptop and I have also
successfully set up on the laptop as its Mail directory, a copy of the
same directory that is on the laptop.  (Curiously, on the desktop that
directory is in the The Bat! Folder within the program folder, while, on
the laptop, it automatically established itself in the Applications Data
directory.)

I also changed settings so that whenever one machine downloads e-mail,
it leaves it on the server for 14 days--a period that will be more than
enough to insure that e-mail gets downloaded on to both.  (Which, if I
synchronize every night, I really wouldn't need to leave it on the
server for more than 24 hours, I would think.)

However, for synchronization, I can either use The Bat's own
synchronization feature OR Dan Lester's recommendation to use the
Directory Toolkit.

Other than the fact that Directory Toolkit will allow me synchronize
other folders, can anyone think of a reason why it is more preferable
than The Bat's own synch function?  Is there any reason why using The
Bat's synch function might be preferred?

Whether I synch using The Bat's own synch function or a third party
software, what is it that I am synching?  Is it merely the Mail
directory?

--
Avram Sacks
Chicago

Using The Bat ver 4.0.1.8 (desktop) or 4.0.2.0 (laptop) on Windows Pro
XP sp2