Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 10:43:21 PM, you wrote:

> Just curious... why are they called cookies nowadays?

> In the old days we spoke of taglines. My big file of those nice, bizar,
> wise, humorious, etc. sentences is still called tagfline.txt, I started with
> it as I still was in the pre-internet network FIDO.

I think that is a "batism" (as opposed to a baptism).  I also go back
to FIDO (and to punched cards for that matter...I retire in two
months).  Sort of like Microsoft renaming "anchors" in HTML to be
"bookmarks", etc, etc.  Just think of the various names for "CVT"
(Continuously Variable Transmission) among different car
manufacturers.  Remember there are actually people who sit around and
make up all these clever names, just like the ones who think up clever
names for every one of the hundreds of shade of blue for which they
have paint chips at the paint store.

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID