On Tuesday, August 18, 2009, at 3:07:30 AM, Geoff Lane wrote:

> However, I do have one issue with VirtualBox, which is that I have to
> keep the user account on the host machine logged in.

I've not had that problem with VMWare Server at either version 1.5 or 2; it
runs round the clock here with no users logged into the host system. My two
VirtualBox installations run only on a test basis, so have not seen this
situation but it would be a killer for me.

Both VMWare and Sun's Virtualbox are free downloads with no major use
restrictions so the choice should be made on the basis of features and
performance. The open source version of Virtualbox does have one serious
limitation: it doesn't support USB peripherals. However Sun's non-open
version does, and that's the one I've installed here. With all these
programs it's necessary to install their accessory packages into the VM
itself in order to get full functionality.

--
Jim Kyle

Using The Bat! v4.0.34 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600
Service Pack 3 on VMWare Server 2 under Xubuntu 8.04.3
with AntiSpamSniper Version 3.0.1.2